Splunk Search

Filter ip_city in timechart

gt2013
Engager

Yello,
Being new to Splunk and still amazed at its capabilities, I have this query and trying to filter out ip_city name 'OTHER' that keeps showing up:

source="/users/a/access" | localop | lookup geo ip as remoteip | search ip_city != "other" | timechart count by ip_city

No cigar 😕

Would anyone be able to help?
Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Aha! I think the problem is that the timechart command sees more than 10 (the default number) of ip_city values, so it only shows the first 10 in the chart, and summarizes the remainder into an entry called "OTHER". That's why you can't eliminate it with your search! (nice try, tho!)

Take a look at the timechart command, and perhaps use the options to try it this way instead:

source="/users/a/access"  | localop 
| lookup geo ip as remoteip 
| timechart limit=0 count by ip_city

I hope that will work for you! If not, perhaps there is a different problem. In that case, you might try this first, just to see what you get...

| stats count by ip_city

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Aha! I think the problem is that the timechart command sees more than 10 (the default number) of ip_city values, so it only shows the first 10 in the chart, and summarizes the remainder into an entry called "OTHER". That's why you can't eliminate it with your search! (nice try, tho!)

Take a look at the timechart command, and perhaps use the options to try it this way instead:

| timechart limit=0 count by ip_city

I hope that will work for you! If not, perhaps there is a different problem. In that case, you might try this first, just to see what you get...

| stats count by ip_city

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

or useother=false added to the timechart command if you only want the top 10.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...