Splunk Search

Field extraction

Sheela
Path Finder

I want to create report for events whose field names haven't been extracted. I have SSH logs of the format "Accepted publickey for user XYZ" , "Accepted publickey for user ABC" and so on. I want to collect statistics for XYZ and other users. When I test an extraction, I get a javascript error on page which says invalid argument. Even if I save a field extraction, I'm not able to use it in my search. Can someone please tell me how to go about it?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MarioM
Motivator

I am not sure why you getting java script error maybe an issue with your browser...

There are several methods to extract fields:

First i usually use erex to see what regex will catch my field values:

... | erex user examples="XYZ, ABC" counterexamples="99/2"

Then it will give me a regex which i would use in rex command:

... | rex field=_raw "Accepted\spublickey\sfor\suser\s(?<user>.*[^\s]) "

Then I Use the Field extractions page in Manager.

Here you will find all the methods to extract fields : Fields and field extractions

View solution in original post

MarioM
Motivator

I am not sure why you getting java script error maybe an issue with your browser...

There are several methods to extract fields:

First i usually use erex to see what regex will catch my field values:

... | erex user examples="XYZ, ABC" counterexamples="99/2"

Then it will give me a regex which i would use in rex command:

... | rex field=_raw "Accepted\spublickey\sfor\suser\s(?<user>.*[^\s]) "

Then I Use the Field extractions page in Manager.

Here you will find all the methods to extract fields : Fields and field extractions

Sheela
Path Finder

That worked perfectly! Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...