Splunk Search

Field extraction

alonKri
Explorer

Hi Splunk team, I would like to receive your dedicated help. 

I have a string field, the field's structure is name_timestamp

The name contains underscores between words, after the name, there is another underscore. Finally, there is a full date. for example: this_is_an_example_09_13_2021.

My goal is to extract the name from this field. for this example, I would like to receive this_is_an_example. 

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance! 😊

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you are not extracting the time (or at least that wasn't the requirement), you will probably find that the current anchor pattern will suffice - if you do need to extend it add _\d{2}_\d{2}

View solution in original post

alonKri
Explorer

@ITWhisperer @isoutamo 

First of all, Thank you both!

I forgot that in addition to the full date, this field contains the hour and minutes. for example, 

this_is_an_example_09_13_2021_03_45.

How should I change the rex command? 

Thanks!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you are not extracting the time (or at least that wasn't the requirement), you will probably find that the current anchor pattern will suffice - if you do need to extend it add _\d{2}_\d{2}

alonKri
Explorer

Thanks so much! It's working 😊

@ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

alonKri
Explorer

Where should I put it?

for example, this is the received output.

Note: The name may contain numbers. 

alonKri_0-1631523466792.png

Thanks much!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"(?<test>.*)" basically match everything on this field. When we are adding "_\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2}_\d{2}_\d{2}$" we are requiring that at the end of this string there are _ + 4 digits + _ + 2 digits ... etc. and everything before that is put on test field. So based on your string just add those _\d{4} and _\d{2} to correct places. And if those days, hours, minutes and seconds can be only in one (1) digit long then use _\d{1,2} to catch also those.

So based on your screenshot you should use e.g.

rex field=test max_match=0 "(?<test>.*)_\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2}_\d{2}_\d{2}$" 

If you are using name test on field and in capture group then you are replacing the content of this field with file name instead of creating a new field for file_name. So if you need the original file name later on then it's better to use something else than test as a capture group name.

r. Ismo

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

yes it is. You could try this

| rex field=name_timestamp max_match=0 "(?<file_name>.*)_\d{1,2}_\d{1,2}_\d{2,4}$"

r. Ismo 

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "(?<words>[a-zA-Z_]+)_\d{2}_\d{2}_\d{4}"
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...