Splunk Search

Field extraction and conditional splitting into different indexes on a heavy forwarder

wirelessy
Engager

Hello,

In my environment I have a setup of two heavy forwarders forwarding to a set of clustered indexers.
I want those forwarders to receive syslog, and depending on the facility/severity the incoming data should be forwarded to different indexes.

To get the syslog facility/severity, I want to do a lookup for the priority I receive in the event. To do that lookup, I figured I need a named field for the priority.
So I created an app for those forwarders with the following:

props.conf:

[generic_syslog]
EXTRACT-extract_syslog_priority = ^<(?<syslog_priority>\d+)> 
LOOKUP-lookup_syslog_priority = syslog_priority_lookup syslog_priority OUTPUTNEW syslog_facility, syslog_severity

transforms.conf

[syslog_priority_lookup]
filename = syslog_priorities.csv

However, above config does not seem to work. The indexed events have no fields as "syslog_priority", nor "syslog_facility" or the severity.

What am I getting wrong here?

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, won't work 😞

Lookups and field extractions using EXTRACT are a search time function, and cannot be made to "fire" during index time pipeline processing. You'll need to come up with another way of accomplishing index-time routing - probably based on regex alone.

wirelessy
Engager

Well, that does indeed explain what I am getting wrong :). Thank you!
I took that idea off of this app: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/736/
Am I correct on the assumption this would work again, if it wasn't for my 6.4.1 heavy forwarder, but 6.3 or older?

Sadly, I am left alone in the field with (so far) zero experience in configuring Splunk.
I don't think I fully understand what possibilities I have to achieve that, and where/how to configure those. Could you provide me with a possible way, or just a keyword that I can go dig into?

Maybe a similar example, on which I can go full copycat again?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...