Splunk Search

Field Extractions tutorial or recommended documentation?

leantricity

Hi:

I want to extract 3 fields from this line

Create "/juanpablo/files/Splunk Info/universalforwarders.pdf" with fileid: 5242 by user ****, displayName , owner: juanpablo [CLIENT_IP: 10.255.0.2] [USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/2.4.1 (build 9367)]

The fields will be "Action" "File" and "InternalUser"

The Action is Create, Read, etc, the File field content is the path between "" and the InternalUser field content is what comes after the "by user" string.

Where can I learn how to properly extract 3 fields using the extractor and RegEx option?

The problem I find is that there can be different values after "by user" string and some of them are just IP addresses when the one that creates the file is an external (ownCloud) user.

I don't want explanations about how to do it, but some tutorials or documents about how to deal with this problem

Thanks a lot!

JP

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...