Splunk Search

Field Extraction : regex works fine with search using "rex" command but not with Field extraction

Flo-Paris
Explorer

Hello,

I'm trying to analyze WatchGuard firewall logs received by Splunk using syslog on udp 514 port.

I was able to find a well working regex to use in a search using the following rex command in order to extract needed fields :

| rex field=_raw ".*\s(?<HOSTNAME>\S+)\s(?<PROCESS>\S+):\s.*\s(?<DISPOSITION>(Allow|Deny))\s(?<SRC_INT>\S+)\s(?<DST_INT>\S+)\s.*(?<PR>(icmp|igmp|tcp|udp)).*\s(?<SRC_IP>[[octet]](?:\.[[octet]]){3})\s(?<DST_IP>[[octet]](?:\.[[octet]]){3})\s(?<SRC_PORT>\d{1,5})\s(?<DST_PORT>\d{1,5})\s.*\((?P<RULE_NAME>.*)?(-00)\)$"
| table HOSTNAME,PROCESS,DISPOSITION,SRC_INT,DST_INT,PR,SRC_IP,DST_IP,SRC_PORT,DST_PORT,RULE_NAME

Result is a table as we can see in attachment.

Now, in order to optimize all of that, i would like to be able to extract all these fields automatically without having the need to use a rex command in each search i run...

i tryed using the Splunk Field extraction wizard, both using the automatic regex generator and by copy paste my search regex, but no success...

i suppose i missed something somewhere ?

thanks for your help

Florent

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Flo-Paris
Explorer

Here are my existing Field Extractions in the Splunk Settings / Fields / Field Extractions menu

0 Karma

Flo-Paris
Explorer

Even if Splunk field extraction wizard seems to match my fields already...

0 Karma

Flo-Paris
Explorer

Only "RULE_NAME" seems to be correctly extracted by default (see attachment), i don't know why...

0 Karma

Flo-Paris
Explorer

Exemple of original log received :

Apr 21 15:04:33 10.40.1.254 Apr 21 15:04:33 FRPARXXX0001.mydomain.local firewall: msg_id="3000-0151" Allow Firebox EXT-FIBER-XXX-100 udp 1XX.XXX.XXX.1 1.XXX.XXX.10 39010 53 dst_user="administrator@mydomain.local" duration="32" sent_bytes="68" rcvd_bytes="128" (Any From Firebox-00)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...