Splunk Search

Extrapolation of data volumes after connection of new systems / predicted license costs with lookup

mklhs
Path Finder

The relevant data about the future development of CustID are read in via a lookup (new_custID.csv) based on the table:

| search index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype
| stats earliest(_time) as first_seen latest(_time) by CustID 
| inputlookup append=t new_custID.csv
| stats min(frist_seen) as first_seen max(last_seen) by CustID 
| output lookup  new_custID.csv

My goal is to build dashboards with the predicted amount of data depending on the connection projects in order to get an overview of the imported amount of data in Splunk (Licensing costs) , so that I can link these new findings in my query:

| search index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype
| eval esize=len(_raw)
| stats sum(esize) as Volume_of_Data

The questions arise:
1) How can one automatically in Lookup recognize which concrete CustIDs are in operation / have been newly added after a certain period of time (for example, statistically seen monthly)? (Extrapolation).
2) A selection list can be used to select the times mentioned in the above lookup.
After selecting a point in time, the predicted amount of data for this point in time is displayed.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How does your past license usage look? does it increase in a linear way? Can you post a screenshot of a timechart with your lic usage?

0 Karma

mklhs
Path Finder

Hello,

yes, statistically I have on the day the more or less the same distribution (avg=2,2 GB). Of course on weekends up to about 30% have little data volume.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it follows a linear trend then this should be real easy to do. Check out my CONF talk that is related to this and shows how to build a model in the MLTK. I can't help with your use case until a see a line chart of the growth

https://conf.splunk.com/files/2019/slides/FN1137.pdf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...