Splunk Search

Extracting details from windows logs

spicynuggs
Engager

spicynuggs_1-1602182883224.png

Hi I'm new to splunk and hope you guys are having a good day!

How can I query and extract out the information from this event field? Example I would like to the object value name and the change information. From there i'll create a column and display it values extracted.

I feel that the windows log itself is quite difficult to search due to the limited number of fields

Thank you in advance

Labels (5)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "Object Value Name:\s+(?<ObjectValueName>\S+)"
| rex "Old Value Type:\s+(?<OldValueType>\S+)"
| rex "Old Value:\s+(?<OldValue>\S+)"
| rex "New Value Type:\s+(?<NewValueType>\S+)"
| rex "New Value:\s+(?<NewValue>\S+)"

spicynuggs
Engager

Hey! Thanks I think my mistake was with the my regex... 

Just a follow up question, with my current results, would I be able to search from my current index and add on other details to correlate? or is there another way around it?

Right now,  i would like to add any activity with cmd.exe to correlate or event id specific

Thank you so much

edit: found out about sub-search, but any advice or tips would be appreicated too

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can extract the fields and then do further searches e.g.

| rex "Process Name:\s+(?<ProcessName>\S+)"
| where like(ProcessName, "%cmd.exe")

It then depends what else you want to do. What do you want to correlate other events with? You can do a lot of things, so long as the data is there, there is usually a way to extract information, although to be fair some are easier than others and possibly not all are possible. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...