Splunk Search

Extracting Source Network Address from Windows Logs

hiteshkh
Explorer

Im working on extracting Source Network Address's from Splunk I've spent the past few hours defining my query and after a few days of researching and troubleshooting got it narrowed to the following.

The problem is the Source_Network_Address in windows event logs appears without spaces and the query is pulling data back that is not accurate for me. Im looking for Public IP's RDPing to a host not private IPs.

index=windows EventCode=4625  Source_Network_Address!="127.0.0.1" Source_Network_Address!="::1" | eventstats count as "EventCount" by EventCode | table EventCode EventCodeDescription EventCount Source_Network_Address ComputerName | sort EventCode | where EventCount>80

Yes I've tried excluding internal subnets however this is still not giving me expected output.

I need a way to extract Source Network Address without spaces.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Need-to-pull-IP-from-Message-field/m-p/559816

I tried this however we are not extracting it via the IP Field.

When I go to extract the regex after searching by event count and index the field gets cut off in the regex editor that loads up. Not sure how to proceed here.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hiteshkh
Explorer

I was able to write regex to extract it.

Source Network Address:(?<ip>.\S+)

The Issues I had and remediations

1. The splunk Field Extractor window would cut off Microsoft windows event payloads by a half. So I could not select the field.

2. Splunk auto associates strings and ip's etc to a common field that can be utilized to be remapped across the environment so it can learn what these are. For example an IP Address is associated with <IP>

3. The Regex is not like normal regex that I'm used to for example (.?*)

4. The Source Network Address would pull back private IP's and public IP's Across the same event code. I extracted the private ones, then tried to find the IP field in the verbose mode search. Unfortunately, it wouldn't populate.  So I re-ran the search and extracted the public IP field under the same field (Source Network Address) and then extracted it and named it Source Network Address -pub. This then populated my public ip's.

View solution in original post

hiteshkh
Explorer

The previous Query was counting all events displayed. I modified this further and now I can get a failure count by ip.

index=windows EventCode=4625 ip!="private ip range to exclude" ip!="127.0.0.1" ip!="::1" ip!="-" | stats count as failures by ip, EventCode, ComputerName,| table EventCode ip failures ComputerName | sort failures | reverse

In addition you can easily add hostnames you wish to exclude with the line below by adding this before the | stats

ComputerName!="hostname you'd like to exclude that's noisy or you're aware of

0 Karma

hiteshkh
Explorer

Finalized working query

index=windows EventCode=4625 ip!="private ip range to exclude" ip!="127.0.0.1" ip!="::1" ip!="-" ComputerName!="hostname you'd like to exclude that's noisy or you're aware of" | eventstats count as "EventCount" by EventCode | table EventCode EventCount ip ComputerName | sort EventCode | where EventCount>80

0 Karma

hiteshkh
Explorer

I was able to write regex to extract it.

Source Network Address:(?<ip>.\S+)

The Issues I had and remediations

1. The splunk Field Extractor window would cut off Microsoft windows event payloads by a half. So I could not select the field.

2. Splunk auto associates strings and ip's etc to a common field that can be utilized to be remapped across the environment so it can learn what these are. For example an IP Address is associated with <IP>

3. The Regex is not like normal regex that I'm used to for example (.?*)

4. The Source Network Address would pull back private IP's and public IP's Across the same event code. I extracted the private ones, then tried to find the IP field in the verbose mode search. Unfortunately, it wouldn't populate.  So I re-ran the search and extracted the public IP field under the same field (Source Network Address) and then extracted it and named it Source Network Address -pub. This then populated my public ip's.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...