Splunk Search

External search command 'dbquery' returned error code 1. Script output = 'There is no such database [abcdef] available.

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

When I am running the following  query it is working fine .

|dbquery wmsewprd "select REC_TYPE, CODE_TYPE, CODE_DESC, SHORT_DESC, USER_ID from wmsew.SYS_CODE_TYPE"

But when my colleague is trying to run the same query he is getting the external command error.

External search command 'dbquery' returned error code 1. Script output = 'There is no such database [abcdef] available.for the user.

Please help.

Regards,

Rahul

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

check the grants of the user used by your colleague, propbably are different than yours.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

Yes,its different I am an admin where as he has a role of user & power.

While running the search I am getting results where as he is getting error.what needs to be done to avoid this error.

Do we need to grant him dbx_user role.if yes,I tried to edit his role but unable to do.what stopping me?

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

check if dbx and the inputs search you're using is usable for Powers and/or Users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

could you please guide how to check this.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

you can check if your colleages has the grants on the App in [Manage Apps -- DB Connect -- Permissions].

About the inputs, at this moment I haven't an installation with DB Connect, but if you see in the web gui you should find permissions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

We believe by adding dbx_user role to the user we can avoid this error.

But when I am try to add its not getting added,How should I add this.

rahul2gupta_0-1595397078298.png

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

probably you're using an LDAP or SAML authentication, in this case you cannot manage users one by one, you have to associate a Splunk Role to an LDAP Group, this means that you have to give the dbx_user role to all the people in the same group of your colleague.

Anyway, to do this you have to go in [Settings -- Auithentication Methods -- Configure Splunk to use LDAP -- Manage Groups].

I cannot say more because I haven't now an installation with LDAP authentication, but you can follo the docs at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Security/ConfigureLDAPwithSplunkWeb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

Just to get confirm that we went to the following location:

Settings>>Access controls » Authentication method » LDAP strategies » LDAP Groups

rahul2gupta_0-1595404541568.png

we found the required LDAP Group but Brian has already user,power role but it is not showing in selected role.Any reason?

We need to just select dbx_user or user,power and dbx_user ?

Reagrds,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

as I said, you have two choices:

• to add in Splunk the dbx_users role to the group of your colleague, but all the users in this group will be enabled to access dbx;
  • to create in AD another group, associating to it all the three roles and adding only your colleague (and/or also others) to it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...