Splunk Search

External search command 'dbquery' returned error code 1. Script output = 'There is no such database [abcdef] available.

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

When I am running the following  query it is working fine .

|dbquery wmsewprd "select REC_TYPE, CODE_TYPE, CODE_DESC, SHORT_DESC, USER_ID from wmsew.SYS_CODE_TYPE"

But when my colleague is trying to run the same query he is getting the external command error.

External search command 'dbquery' returned error code 1. Script output = 'There is no such database [abcdef] available.for the user.

Please help.

Regards,

Rahul

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

check the grants of the user used by your colleague, propbably are different than yours.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

Yes,its different I am an admin where as he has a role of user & power.

While running the search I am getting results where as he is getting error.what needs to be done to avoid this error.

Do we need to grant him dbx_user role.if yes,I tried to edit his role but unable to do.what stopping me?

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

check if dbx and the inputs search you're using is usable for Powers and/or Users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

could you please guide how to check this.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

you can check if your colleages has the grants on the App in [Manage Apps -- DB Connect -- Permissions].

About the inputs, at this moment I haven't an installation with DB Connect, but if you see in the web gui you should find permissions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

We believe by adding dbx_user role to the user we can avoid this error.

But when I am try to add its not getting added,How should I add this.

rahul2gupta_0-1595397078298.png

Regards,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

probably you're using an LDAP or SAML authentication, in this case you cannot manage users one by one, you have to associate a Splunk Role to an LDAP Group, this means that you have to give the dbx_user role to all the people in the same group of your colleague.

Anyway, to do this you have to go in [Settings -- Auithentication Methods -- Configure Splunk to use LDAP -- Manage Groups].

I cannot say more because I haven't now an installation with LDAP authentication, but you can follo the docs at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Security/ConfigureLDAPwithSplunkWeb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rahul2gupta
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello ,

Just to get confirm that we went to the following location:

Settings>>Access controls » Authentication method » LDAP strategies » LDAP Groups

rahul2gupta_0-1595404541568.png

we found the required LDAP Group but Brian has already user,power role but it is not showing in selected role.Any reason?

We need to just select dbx_user or user,power and dbx_user ?

Reagrds,

Rahul

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rahul2gupta,

as I said, you have two choices:

• to add in Splunk the dbx_users role to the group of your colleague, but all the users in this group will be enabled to access dbx;
  • to create in AD another group, associating to it all the three roles and adding only your colleague (and/or also others) to it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...