Splunk Search

External file lookup is failing, possible due to a "/" character in the lookup fields.


Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting an external file lookup to work in the Search app. I've setup a number of these previously and have had no issues but this one is failing and I can't seem to work out why. The props.conf and transforms.conf seem OK as if I add some dummy data I get the results I'm looking for but with the live data it's failing. I have a feeling it's because of the "/" characters in the initial lookup. Below is a sample of the lookup file :-









Can anyone confirm and let me know if there's any way I can work around this?



Tags (1)
0 Karma


All you need to do is ensure they're enclosed within speech marks, e.g.



Thanks for the feedback guys. Still struggling even with the quotes around the text. I don't get any errors, just no results. I've tried a few variations of quotes too, singles and double.

0 Karma


You can replace the / character in your field if you want to test it out. One way you can do this is by using the eval mvsplit command to turn that field into a multi-valued field and then use the eval mvzip to put it back together with a new character to replace the /. Then just update your lookup to replace the / character as well.

I do however have a lookup with a / and it works.


I have a lookup that uses / within the field that I am looking up and it works.

0 Karma
State of Splunk Careers

Access the Splunk Careers Report to see real data that shows how Splunk mastery increases your value and job satisfaction.

Find out what your skills are worth!