Splunk Search

Export results to .txt

aymericbrun
Explorer

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to export search and table results in a txt file ? (with a script, a command, ...)

I've seen that was possible to export in json, xml and csv, but not in a txt file.

Thanks

1 Solution

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are a few ways to do it.

From the GUI, you should also see a "Raw Events" as an export option along with json, xml, and csv.

From the search language, there are several ways to do it as well. Here is one example that will export to a text file, $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/results.txt

outputtext usexml=false | rename _xml as raw | fields raw | fields - _* | outputcsv results.txt

View solution in original post

aymericbrun
Explorer

Thank you for your quick answer, but the second command you wrote doesn't work. In fact, it works better than your first command, but the results are not appended to the existing results.txt. Splunk keeps creating a new "results.txt" witch contains the results of the last search, results are not added in the existing file.

Here's what i wrote:

inputcsv results.txt | append [search source="access_combined" | outputtext usexml=false | rename _xml as raw | fields raw | fields - _* ] | outputcsv results.txt

Have you an idea ?

Extra : I have a second problem, the search can't finalize because "subsearch auto-finalized after time limit (30 seconds) reached". I search how to disable this but i can't find anything !

0 Karma

aymericbrun
Explorer

Thank you very much for your help! Now it works really well (thanks to your last answer)

0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can prepend instead of append to eliminate the subsearch. NB: In below text, due to comment formatting, replace the two instances of ~ with a _

source="access_combined" | head 10 | outputtext usexml=false | rename ~xml as raw | fields raw | fields - ~* | append [|inputcsv results.txt ] | outputcsv results.txt

0 Karma

aymericbrun
Explorer

I have another question 🙂

Everytime i do that command, a new "results.txt" is created, witch replace (and erase) the last "results.txt". Is it possible to write at the end of this file ?

When i start this search, i'd like the results be added at the end of the file, to have a bigger and bigger file everytime i start the search.

Regards

0 Karma

vkakani60
Path Finder

| outputcsv append=true create_empty=false results

here the search results will be saved in resutls.csv under $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/*.csv

0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The above comment should have a '_' prefix before the xml and the asterik but were used to italicize the text between

0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

outputcsv doesn't currently support an append. So we use it as an input, add a search to it, and the write the results out again...

|inputcsv results.txt | append [search * | head 10 | outputtext usexml=false | rename _xml as raw | fields raw | fields - _* ] | outputcsv results.txt

0 Karma

aymericbrun
Explorer

Works perfectly, great !

Thank you very much

0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are a few ways to do it.

From the GUI, you should also see a "Raw Events" as an export option along with json, xml, and csv.

From the search language, there are several ways to do it as well. Here is one example that will export to a text file, $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/results.txt

outputtext usexml=false | rename _xml as raw | fields raw | fields - _* | outputcsv results.txt

vkakani60
Path Finder

But even if you mention results.txt the output would result.txt.csv. I faced the same situation.
The output of the|outputcsv is always .csv ?

0 Karma

miwalker
Explorer

+2 for you, works like a champ. Thanks!

0 Karma

simonattardGO
Path Finder

Hi,

I found this post very helpful! 🙂

I have a small question about it. Is there a way how to store the exported file in a different folder? Eg. in /tmp/ ?

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

vkakani60
Path Finder

NO...! You can't export the |outputcsv to /tmp/ or some other folder, according to the |outputcsv doc

the file will save $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/*.csv ,
example directory
C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\run\splunk\csv

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...