Splunk Search

Export MV field values to CSV

saulverde
Path Finder

I have specific events with rows and rows of MV data.  They have a header and footer data but the bulk of the body is values for a given process on the host system.  Analysts use these events to validate the host system processes.  Presently they are copying/pasting the raw event text off the page and manually generating csv's from it.  I would like to streamline this process for them by having Splunk spit out a CSV of the needed values.  The body looks something like: 

fieldnameA|fieldnameB|fieldnameC

|valueA1|valueB1|valueC1|

|valueA2|ValueB2|valueC2|

|valueA3|Valueb3|valueC3|...

This goes on for thousands to tens of thousands of lines.  I can rex out the values into Multi value fields and table those results but the results are a single row.  How would I create separate rows for each series of values so that the csv export provides separate rows?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could do something like this, a bit fiddly, but generally functional.

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval data="fieldnameA|fieldnameB|fieldnameC
|valueA1|valueB1|valueC1|
|valueA2|ValueB2|valueC2|
|valueA3|Valueb3|valueC3|"
| makemv tokenizer="([^\n]+)\n?"  data
| mvexpand data
| eval data=trim(data, "|")
| rex field=data "(?<f_0>[^|]*)\|(?<f_1>[^|]*)\|(?<f_2>.*)"
| streamstats c
| eval d=split(data,"|")
| foreach 0 1 2 [ eval val=mvindex(d,<<FIELD>>), tmp_<<FIELD>>_{val}=if(c=1,val,null()) ]
| foreach tmp_*_* [ eval <<MATCHSEG2>>=f_<<MATCHSEG1>> ]
| where c>1
| fields - d data val f_* tmp_* c

Up to the rex statement is setting up your example body, then

• the rex will extract 3 fields - if this needs to be more flexible, it will need some more work
  • streamstats up to first foreach is then moving the header fields to their own temp field names
  • second foreach is then copying the values to the correct field names
  • then cleanup original header and working fields

There are possibly other ways to achieve this, but this one seems to do what I believe you are wanting to do.

If you need to increase the field count, then change the rex statement to create f_X field names and add in the extra field numbers in the first foreach statement 0 1 2 ...

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried using mvexpand?

Maybe you can share your search so it's easier to help, if you can't get it to work.

0 Karma

saulverde
Path Finder

mvexpand hits limits when I use it.  Let me see if I can grab the search. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...