Splunk Search

Exclude Splunk's own audit trail log in search results?

az365
Engager

HI,

I am new to Splunk. If criteria is met, I notice my search results include my previous searches stored in Splunk's own audit trail. They have:

host = [one of the Splunk nodes]

source = audittrail

sourcetype = audittrail

Is there a way to exclude it? It generates a lot of noise when I am refining my searches.. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That will happen if you specify index=_audit in your query.  Don't do that if you don't want to see that data.

It also will happen if your default indexes list includes _* or _audit and you don't specify index name(s) in your query.  Don't do that.  Always include at least one index name in your queries (with few exceptions).

Or specifically exclude that source(type) in your query.

blah blah source!=audittrail blah blah

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That will happen if you specify index=_audit in your query.  Don't do that if you don't want to see that data.

It also will happen if your default indexes list includes _* or _audit and you don't specify index name(s) in your query.  Don't do that.  Always include at least one index name in your queries (with few exceptions).

Or specifically exclude that source(type) in your query.

blah blah source!=audittrail blah blah

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...