Splunk Search

Exchange 2010 Inputs Assist

tgiles
Path Finder

Hi, all.

I was asked to get Exchange logs from an Exchange 2010 cluster going to Splunk. I've installed a forwarder on all four members of the cluster and started looking at the Exchange app (available for download from splunk-base).

From what I can tell from the app (and from other posts on splunk-base) there should be a "Exchange Auditing" Windows event log I can point Splunk to. Unfortunately, I don't see that anywhere. The closest I see might be "MSExchange Management", but it's not really showing me a lot of data.

I also notice there's a "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging" directory on the systems that seem to have quite a bit I'll be interested in, but unfortunately nothing mentioning Exchange Auditing.

So, what inputs would you recommend I setup in my Splunk forwarders to pull exchange audit logs? Pointing me to the relevant documentation (if available) would be awesome, or input from anyone who's performed this sort of setup would be great.

Thanks,

tom

1 Solution

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to enable Exchange auditing. Unfortunately, it isn't available on Exchange 2010. I will be addressing this in the next release of the Splunk App for Microsoft Exchange.

View solution in original post

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to enable Exchange auditing. Unfortunately, it isn't available on Exchange 2010. I will be addressing this in the next release of the Splunk App for Microsoft Exchange.

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this doesn't directly answer your question, but there is a Splunk app for Exchange:
http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/28976/splunk-app-for-microsoft-exchange

it's a free app. the documentation for it is here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MSExchange/latest/DeployMSX/AboutSplunkforMicrosoftExchange

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...