Splunk Search

Event count mismatch when using using `field_name="*"` and `field_name!=""` in tstats query

jshah24
Explorer

Why is there a difference between the number of events scanned in both these queries?
Using below query getting statistics count 25 and number of events (Events label below search query) as 214.

| tstats values(XXXX.product_name) as "Product Name" from datamodel=XXXX where (XXXX.threat_name="*") by XXXX.threat_name

But, Using

| tstats values(XXXX.product_name) as "Product Name" from datamodel=XXXX where (XXXX.threat_name!="") by XXXX.threat_name

getting statistics count same 25 and number of events (Events label below search query) as 5,468.

DalJeanis
Legend

1) Are you running for a fixed time frame, such as earliest=-1d@d latest=@d?

2) Compare the output. Which threat_name are the events missing from?

0 Karma

jshah24
Explorer

Thanks for your response DalJeanis.
Yes, I am running queries for a fixed time frame.
I have updated the question as per my research. please see the updated question.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

A few things to check here:

• you are using summareisonly in the tstats search, are the DMA searches running and summaries are available?
  • compare apples with apples, use your base search from the data model with your get-_index search
  • talking of base search: does it return the expected results?
  • Knowledge objects available to the DMA searches?
  • permissions?

Just a starting point, but good to check ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

jshah24
Explorer

Thanks for the answer MuS.
I have updated the question as per my research and found the problem in this scenario.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...