Splunk Search

Evaluate _time against current value and next value in a foreach and mvfilter ?

dhtran
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello,

I need to evaluate my _time against a list of times output from a lookup table and produce a calculated field "nextPeriodTime" which is the next time after _time.

I came quite close to the final desired result by using a combination of eval, forearch and mvfilter.

My search query

index="nxs_mq" 
    | table interstep _time  
    | lookup params_vacations.csv interstep OUTPUT 0900,1000,1100,1200,1300,1400,1500,1600,1700
    | eval nextPeriodTime="" 
    | eval eventTime=strftime(_time,"%H%M") 
    | eval eventDate=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
    | foreach *00 [| eval nextPeriodTime = if(isnotnull(mvfilter(match('<<FIELD>>',"Y"))),'<<MATCHSTR>>',"N/A")]

Results
alt text

The problem is, for example on the first record, I need the value of nextPeriodTime to be "2020-04-21 12:00:00" instead of "17" (plus, I didn't quite understand why "17" ?) because
_time is after 11:00 and before 12:00, so the next period time from _time will be 12:00.

Is it possible / does it make sense to enrich the mvfilter() part to achieve something like

mvfilter(match('<<FIELD>>',"Y") AND (_time > previous-'<<MATCHSTR>>' AND _time < next-'<<MATCHSTR>>') )

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
 index="nxs_mq" 
| table interstep _time  
| lookup params_vacations.csv interstep OUTPUT 0900,1000,1100,1200,1300,1400,1500,1600,1700
| foreach *00 [eval tmp=mvappend(tmp,'<<FIELD>>')
| eval check=if(mvcount(mvdedup(tmp))=1 AND match(tmp,"Y"),1,0)]
| eval nextPeriodTime = if(check=1, strftime(relative_time(_time,"@h+1h"), "%F %H%M"), "N/A")
| fields - tmp check

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Foreach

• matchstr
    • Syntax: matchstr= <string>
    • Description: Replaces <<MATCHSTR>> with part of the field name that matches wildcard(s) in the specifier.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
 index="nxs_mq" 
| table interstep _time  
| foreach *00 [eval tmp=mvappend(tmp,'<<FIELD>>')
| eval check=if(mvcount(mvdedup(tmp))=1 AND match(tmp,"Y"),1,0)]
| eval nextPeriodTime = if(check=1, strftime(relative_time(_time,"@h+1h"), "%F %H%M"), "N/A")
| fields - tmp check

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Foreach

• matchstr
    • Syntax: matchstr= <string>
    • Description: Replaces <<MATCHSTR>> with part of the field name that matches wildcard(s) in the specifier.
0 Karma

dhtran
Loves-to-Learn Lots

thank you, although I need to fix some minor details in my lookup file but this works perfectly

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...