Splunk Search

Eval time between events for transaction by group?

gljiva
Path Finder

Hi,
I'd like to do a report that tells me how long a forwarder hasn't been active. I use transaction to join similar events and next i would like to group events by host end eval time distance. Im having problem figuring out how to eval distance between same host (group by sourceHost) transaction events and show that as result.
Currently I use this search to get active forwarder connections:

index=_internal "group=tcpin_connections" startdaysago=1 | transaction sourceHost maxpause=2m maxevents=-1

This returns transactions for all uninterrupted connections, but i don't know how to calculate distance between events based od sourceHost and get information on how long a forwarder wasn't sending data.
All searches on http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Deploy:HowToFindLostForwarders show how to get current information about non-active forwarders and not report for all forwarders in a time period.

thx

1 Solution

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi, if I understood you right, you want to report on the time lapse intercuring between "transactions" coming from the same host. With respect to this, I'd follow this approach:

1. create the transaction you are interested into; compute the time at which that transaction ended as *_time + duration*
  2. invert the time line, so that later events come after earlier events
  3. use streamstats to bring the previous' transaction end_time into current event, while taking care that only the last transaction from the same host is used
  4. compute the time gap

That would translate in something like:

<some searh> | transaction host maxspan=10m maxpause=1m maxevents=10 
| eval end_time = _time + duration 
| sort + _time 
| streamstats avg(end_time) as prevendtime window=1 current=f global=false by host
| eval timegapsecs=round(_time - prevendtime,0)

timegapssecs will be the amount of time (in seconds) passed between two consecutive transactions from the same host

View solution in original post

ftk
Motivator

I use the following search to find forwarders that have not checked in for a while (in this case more than 3600 seconds, or one hour):

| metadata type=hosts index=foo | eval last_contact=now()-recentTime | where last_contact>3600

If you drop the where last_contact>3600 you will get statistics for all your forwarders.

ftk
Motivator

Well, the question was based around forwarders not all hosts including syslog, hence I contained the scope of my answer to forwarders only.

0 Karma

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

I think that approach would not work in case: a) your forwarders collect data from remote hosts too, b) your indexer receives snmp or syslog data from the network. In both cases your list of hosts would be much longer that those with a forwarder installed.

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi, if I understood you right, you want to report on the time lapse intercuring between "transactions" coming from the same host. With respect to this, I'd follow this approach:

1. create the transaction you are interested into; compute the time at which that transaction ended as *_time + duration*
  2. invert the time line, so that later events come after earlier events
  3. use streamstats to bring the previous' transaction end_time into current event, while taking care that only the last transaction from the same host is used
  4. compute the time gap

That would translate in something like:

<some searh> | transaction host maxspan=10m maxpause=1m maxevents=10 
| eval end_time = _time + duration 
| sort + _time 
| streamstats avg(end_time) as prevendtime window=1 current=f global=false by host
| eval timegapsecs=round(_time - prevendtime,0)

timegapssecs will be the amount of time (in seconds) passed between two consecutive transactions from the same host

gljiva
Path Finder

Thx again 🙂 this is final search that I use as a dashboard: index=_internal "group=tcpin_connections" startdaysago=2 | transaction sourceHost maxpause=2m maxevents=-1 | eval end_time = _time + duration | sort + _time | streamstats sum(end_time) as prevendtime window=1 current=f global=false by sourceHost | eval ForwarderOfflineTime=round(_time - prevendtime,0) | where ForwarderOfflineTime NOT NULL | fields + sourceHost _time ForwarderOfflineTime | rename _time as Time | convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S-%d.%m.%Y." ctime(Time)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...