Splunk Search

Error when trying to search Network Traffic data model with tstats

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

I am trying to search the Network Traffic data model, specifically blocked traffic, as follows:

| tstats summariesonly=true allow_old_summaries=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic"."All_Traffic"."Traffic_By_Action"."Blocked_Traffic"

and I get the following error:

Error in 'DataModelCache': Invalid or unaccelerable root object for datamodel

Am I not chaining the child objects correctly in the search?

Thx

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The datamodel keyword takes only the root datamodel name.  To specify a dataset within the DM, use the nodename option.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/SearchReference/Tstats#:~:text=indicating,model

| tstats summariesonly=true allow_old_summaries=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic" where nodename="All_Traffic"."Traffic_By_Action"."Blocked_Traffic"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The datamodel keyword takes only the root datamodel name.  To specify a dataset within the DM, use the nodename option.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/SearchReference/Tstats#:~:text=indicating,model

| tstats summariesonly=true allow_old_summaries=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic" where nodename="All_Traffic"."Traffic_By_Action"."Blocked_Traffic"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

@richgalloway

Thx for the reply and the info.

When I ran the query 

| tstats summariesonly=true allow_old_summaries=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic" WHERE nodename="All_Traffic"."Traffic_By_Action"."Blocked_Traffic"

I got the following error: Error in 'TsidxStats': WHERE clause is not an exact query

Thx

Tags (2)
0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Figured out the issue after banging away for a little - I had to drop the quotes from the nodenames

| tstats summariesonly=true allow_old_summaries=true count from datamodel="Network_Traffic" WHERE nodename=All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic BY _time span=1h

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...