Splunk Search

Error when searching log text that contains a line break

jymmitch
Path Finder

Sample text from a log that I'm searching:

"store license for Store 123456
2022-03-27 02:01:59,649 [XNIO-2 task-3] ERROR"

I'm trying to search for, and return, a store number that's associated with a particular error. The following search successfully returns the store number (and count):

index=* host="log*" "store license for" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)" | stats count by storenumber

But when I try to search for the storenumber along with error string that follows it, I get "no results found." Here's the search i'm trying:

index=* host="log*" "store license for" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)[\r\n]+2022\-03\-27\s02:01:59,649\s\[XNIO-2\stask-3\]\sERROR" | stats count by storenumber

Splunk doesn't seem to like the newline character. I've tried \n and [r\n\] and others, but all with the same incorrect results.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jymmitch
Path Finder

I'll give it a try today, thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

I'll give it a try today, thanks!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hi there are two ways to do this.

1st way :

put the specific error in the main search and you will find the all the storenumber counts with that error.

index=* host="log*" "store license for" "Error" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)" | stats count by storenumber

2nd way:

Extract the error from the raw data and display/filter in the statistics.

index=* host="log*" "store license for" | rex field=_raw "Store\s*(?P<storenumber>\d+)\n*.*ERROR(?<Error>.*)" | stats count by storenumber Error

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

When I try something like that where all the data is on one line in the logs, I get results. When the data is on separate lines in the logs, I get no results in my search.

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

That "should" have worked, but didn't. I still get "no results found." For some reason, it doesn't seem to recognize (or acknowledge) the \n.

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

I think a slightly tweaked version of this will work.

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

I think a slightly tweaked version of this will work.

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

Here are two examples from logs...

store license for Store 123456
2022-03-27 02:01:59,649 [XNIO-2 task-3] ERROR hostnane is null

store license for Store 234567
2022-03-27 00:02:22,566 [XNIO-2 task-7] INFO com.

I want to find only store numbers that are followed by the error text 

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

Not sure, but the line break in the log seems to be messing me up:

"store license for Store 123456
2022-03-27 02:01:59,649 [XNIO-2 task-3] ERROR"

0 Karma

jymmitch
Path Finder

I'm trying to find every occurrence of the store number in the logs that is followed by a specific error text. That "ERROR" in my sample is just the first word in the error string. There are other occurrences of that store number in the logs, but I want to find only those that are followed by the specific error text. I know that I'll also have to deal with the date/time stamp, but for now I'm just trying to figure out to write the search query to find that hardcoded value.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can put the specific error message in your base search as filter

index=* host="log*" "store license for" "<your hard coded error message>" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)" | stats count by storenumber

Example:

index=* host="log*" "store license for" "ERROR hostnane is null" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)" | stats count by storenumber

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you trying to  find count by storenumber and error,  like this?

index=* host="log*" "store license for" | rex field=_raw "Store\s(?P<storenumber>.*)" | rex "\](?<Error>.+)"| stats count by storenumber Error

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...