Splunk Search

Error in 'eval' command: unexpected character at 86400

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Hi All, On the internal logs i see this eval command error - 
ERROR EvalCommand - Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at '*)/86400)'.

but it does not provide more details like which search query / search report / alert caused this error msg. 

searched about this, but no luck. could someone provide some suggestions please. thanks..

Labels (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Hi @richgalloway / Hi All.. the above rest query returns around 25 searches, i ran all of them, all are running fine.. no errors they give(on the gui, as well as on job inspector),..

1) on the internal logs, i see this error around 12 times per hour, (6 times at the hour, 6 times at the 30min).. so, just after it appears on the internal log, i login to the search head linux box, on the dispatch directory,

when i search for the search logs for this error, the correct search query which caused this log into the internal logs not showing up..

find ./ -type f -exec grep -H '/86400)' {} \;

find ./ -name search.log -exec grep -H '/86400)' {} \;

2. apart from search queries, is there anything else which might cause this errors in the internal logs?! (any field extractions, ..etc)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, that's one of Splunk's many crappy error messages.

If you have access to the CLI, search the savedsearches.conf files for that reported string.

find /opt/splunk/etc/apps -name savedsearches.conf -exec grep "\*)\/86400)" {} \;

If you don't have CLI access then try this SPL query

| rest /services/saved/searches splunk_server=local
| search search=* 
| where match(search, "\*\)\/86400\)")

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

gauravu_14
Explorer

After running the SPL query, I am getting the below error:
"Error in 'where' command: Regex: unmatched closing parenthesis"

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's probably because of improper escaping of the embedded ')' characters.  I've corrected my answer.

---

gauravu_14
Explorer

Thanks, the SPL did work this time. However, there was no result for the mentioned string and yet I am seeing that error

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex may need to be adjusted.  Try searching just for "86400".

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...