Splunk Search

Error: Cannot expand lookup field due to a reference cycle in the lookup configuration

anapp
Explorer

OK, this is odd

Search: 

index=myindex

Works and returns a field "Name", happily listing all values of Name as expected

However any search on the name field e.g.

index=myindex Name=Fred

returns the error:

Cannot expand lookup field 'Name' due to a reference cycle in the lookup configuration. Check search.log for details and update the lookup configuration to remove the reference cycle.

Unfortunately I have no idea what to search for in the search log 

Splunk support have only pointed me to this discussion and told me to re-save a specific cisco lookup:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Cloud-Platform/Cannot-expand-lookup-field-due-to-a-reference-...

and it isn't that as we don't have that cisco lookup table 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The broader issue referred to in that linked page you posted, is not specifically about Cisco, but about the resolution of field evaluations. Your Name field is being extracted by Splunk at search time and somewhere in Splunk's process of finding out what Name field should be, it is coming across the reference cycle issue described.

As ray says in that post, they recently upgraded the message from INFO to WARN. 

Have a look at the job inspector search log and look for 'cycle' as described in the post and see if that gives any clues as to why there is that issue occurring on your Name field.

Do you have any Cisco TA installed? As you are on Splunk Cloud, I would suggest you raise a ticket with Splunk asking THEM to run the btool command for you to see if they can identify the problem in your config.

View solution in original post

anapp
Explorer

Thanks 

Tracked down the lookup file but no obvious issue - I shall "nudge" splunks support as I was asking here due to their sluggishness 🙂

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The broader issue referred to in that linked page you posted, is not specifically about Cisco, but about the resolution of field evaluations. Your Name field is being extracted by Splunk at search time and somewhere in Splunk's process of finding out what Name field should be, it is coming across the reference cycle issue described.

As ray says in that post, they recently upgraded the message from INFO to WARN. 

Have a look at the job inspector search log and look for 'cycle' as described in the post and see if that gives any clues as to why there is that issue occurring on your Name field.

Do you have any Cisco TA installed? As you are on Splunk Cloud, I would suggest you raise a ticket with Splunk asking THEM to run the btool command for you to see if they can identify the problem in your config.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...