Splunk Search

'Empty' a csv on a daily basis

timrich66
Communicator

Hi all,

I have a dashboard where users can add comments to a .csv lookup file.  The comments are only related to the day that they are added.  I would like to be able to clear down the .csv on a daily basis (around midnight).  Is there a way that I can do this using Splunk to keep all the code in one place?

I plan to use the 'collect' command to send the contents to an index prior to removing all the entries in whatever way is possible.

I have tried using outputlookup but only succeeded in writing blank lines to the .csv, not overwriting or removing the contents.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

Have you tried using the paramter

create_empty=true

in your outputlookup command?

Skalli

timrich66
Communicator

Hi @skalliger , thanks for the reply.  Yes, I tried this but only managed to create empty lines in the csv.

I have written this search which only returns the entries for 'today'.  A work around for now.

| inputlookup comment.csv
| eval Comment=if(isnull(Comment),New_Note,Comment)
| eval Date=if(isnull(Date),Date_new,Date)
| eval tdate=strftime(now(),"%d/%m/%Y")
| rex field=Date "(?<cdate>\d\d\/\d\d\/\d\d\d\d) "
| table Date, Comment, tdate, cdate
| where tdate=cdate
| table Date, Comment
| sort -Date

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...