Splunk Search

Easiest way to exclude ingestion of events for a specific IP address from a SourceType?

neiowe
Path Finder

I am looking to not ingest events from a specific IP address. I have an IP address that once a week generates a LOT of firewall traffic and which is causing me to exceed my license. What's the easiest/best way to exclude these events. The firewall logs are being sent to a SYSLOG server that is running a Universal Forwarder that sends all logs to my Indexer. I am assuming I will need to use the PROPS/TRANSFORM files to send these to the NULL Queue, but not sure of the proper stanza's to accomplish this. Anyone done this and can provide a sample or suggest a better way to exclude these events?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hey
This is done by defining a regex to match the necessary event(s) and send them to nullqueue

Here is a basic example that will drop everything the events that you do not want.
Let suppose you have ip 192.168.10.11 in the event which generate all these firewall logs and you want exclude these events

Then put:
in transforms.conf

[setnull]
 REGEX = 192\.168\.10\.11
 DEST_KEY = queue
 FORMAT = nullQueue

And in props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
 # Transforms must be applied in this order
 # to make sure events are dropped on the
 # floor prior to making their way to the
 # index processor
 TRANSFORMS-null = setnull

Let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

neiowe
Path Finder

This doesn't show the \ but they are there.

0 Karma

neiowe
Path Finder

Thanks. I will give this a try. One additional question: If I was to use add a second IP address range, i.e. 10.10.0.0/16, how would I do that?

0 Karma

neelamsantosh
Path Finder

are u able to exclude the IP range.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

you can create another stanza with different name i.e. setnull1,setnull2,setnull3,etc
in transforms.conf:

[setnull]
  REGEX = 192\.168\.10\.11
  DEST_KEY = queue
  FORMAT = nullQueue

[setnull1]
  REGEX = write_regex_for_second_range_or_ip
  DEST_KEY = queue
  FORMAT = nullQueue

In props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
  # Transforms must be applied in this order
  # to make sure events are dropped on the
  # floor prior to making their way to the
  # index processor
  TRANSFORMS-set = setnull,setnull1

This is how you can exclude differenct types of events

mayurr98
Super Champion

you can do that using this link http://www.analyticsmarket.com/freetools/ipregex
enter first ip address and last ip address the tool will generate a regex for you which you can use REGEX =
whatever regex will get that many ip's will get exclude from the events

i hope you understand it!
if you don't understand then just tell me first and last ip i.e. the range i will give you the expression!
let me know if you need anything else.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...