Splunk Search

Drilldown not working, even when using <![CDATA]]>

UMDTERPS
Communicator

I am having a similar issue to this thread here, but my drilldown search still won't work (explanation below):

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/In-a-dashboard-why-can-t-I-configure-a-dri...

I have a panel on my dashboard  with a custom drilldown and search.  The search works perfectly when running it as a search on it's own.  However, in the search string we have a "rex" and those don't play nice with drilldowns and XML. 

|rex field=field1 "^(?<field2>[^ ]+)"

Apparently, according to the thread above,  you need to  wrap the data in "<!CDATA[]]?>":

<link target="_blank"><![CDATA[ search?earliest=&latest=&q=|inputlookup = blah |rex field=field2 "^(?<field>[^ ]+)"|search continues....]]></link>

The drilldown will execute and open another tab, but the search stops at 

rex field=field2 "^(

I get an error saying "Unbalanced quotes."  The search runs on it's own, but not when using a custom drilldown search and wrapping the search in "CDATA."

Any ideas on how to get this search running with rex and no errors in a custom drilldown?

Thanks

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The original drilldown was failing because the "?" character separates arguments in a URL.  Including one in the search query effectively ending the query.  The "?" needs to be encoded if nothing else.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try URL-encoding the drilldown target.

---
0 Karma

UMDTERPS
Communicator

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.3/Viz/OverviewofSimplifiedXML#Special_characters_in...

|rex field=field1 "^(?<field2>[^ ]+)"

URL Encoded below:

| rex field=field1 &quot;^(?&lt;field2&gt;[^ ]+)&quot;

I'm assuming this is what you mean?

When I run the the drilldown, I get:

Error in 'SearchParser': Missing a search command before '^'. Error at position '211' of search query '| inputlookup data.csv ...{snipped} {errorcontext = IG_ID&gt;[^ ]+)&quot;}'.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The original drilldown was failing because the "?" character separates arguments in a URL.  Including one in the search query effectively ending the query.  The "?" needs to be encoded if nothing else.

---

UMDTERPS
Communicator

Yeah, I ended up replacing the "?" with "%3F" and the "+" with "%2B" in the  "<link target="_blank">search?q=.....</link>" and it worked.

Seems like it's not listed here?:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Viz/OverviewofSimplifiedXML

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Submit feedback on that doc page letting them know of your experience.  They'll likely change the page.

---
0 Karma

UMDTERPS
Communicator

Thanks, I submitted feedback on  the page. 👍

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...