Splunk Search

Drilldown Search Removing Math Operators

mstark31
Path Finder

I am using the new Drilldown feature in Splunk Enterprise 6.6 to drilldown to a search.

In the Drilldown Editor dialog, I specified "Link to search" and Custom.

My search string includes a simple eval statement using addition:
| eval FakeQty = Qty1 + Qty2
When I test the drilldown after saving the dashboard, the search that appears in the search bar in the new window omits the plus sign in my eval statement, which causes the search to throw an error.
| eval FakeQty = Qty1 Qty2

I have tried this with other operators (subtract, multiply, and divide) successfully, but not with addition. I have been able to replicate the error on multiple searches and dashboards.
I also tried to edit the XML and use + instead of +, but that did not work.

I found this answer, but since I'm not the one in my organization who manages the .conf files, I want to make sure I can give correct instructions regarding my specific issue to the person who does. I'm not 100% sure this is my situation.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/10281/drilldown-search-operators-out-of-order.html?utm_source=typ...

0 Karma
1 Solution

cardinalga
Explorer

Actually it only removes the + operator. You can replace it by %2B in your query

FYI, it does the same for the ? char which can be replaced by %3F

I guess it is because these characters are interpreted in the URL.

View solution in original post

johnthsu
Engager

I hope Splunk "Drilldown Editor" will automatically replace two characters below. So, the "rex" in drill-down will be ease to code.
1. replace "+" with "%2B" instead of replace with "%20"
2. replace "?" with "%3F"

Thanks
Sincerely
John Hsu

0 Karma

cardinalga
Explorer

Actually it only removes the + operator. You can replace it by %2B in your query

FYI, it does the same for the ? char which can be replaced by %3F

I guess it is because these characters are interpreted in the URL.

mstark31
Path Finder

The kludge fix is to change it to | eval FakeQty = Qty1 - (-1*Qty2), but this is clearly a temporary workaround.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...