Splunk Search

Does Splunk distribute individual member searches of a multisearch to available Slots on any/all available Search Heads?

wmyersas
Builder

Like the title says - how are individual searches in a multisearch handled?

Are they distributed across any/all available search slots on any/all available Search Heads? Or do they only run on the Search Head that initiates the search?

Say you have several Search Heads in a Search Head Cluster.

And you have a multisearch like the following:

| multisearch
   [| search index=ndxA sourcetype=srctpA fieldA=* 
   | fields fieldA ]
   [| search index=ndxB sourcetype=srctpB fieldA=* fieldB=* 
   | fields fieldA fieldB ]
   [| search index=ndxC sourcetype=srctpC fieldB=* 
   | fields fieldB ]
   [| inputlookup MyFancyLookup where myLField1=G* 
   | fields myLField1 fieldA fieldB ]
| fillnull value="-" fieldA fieldB myLField1
| stats count by fieldA fieldB myLField1

Will each of the | search or | inputlookup lines run, potentially, on a different Search Head? Or will they all be run from the initiating Search Head?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wmyersas
Builder

User halr9000 on /r/Splunk cited "Dr Z" (Steve Zhang) as saying these are all run on the initiating Search Head

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wmyersas
Builder

User halr9000 on /r/Splunk cited "Dr Z" (Steve Zhang) as saying these are all run on the initiating Search Head

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...