Splunk Search

Does Rex in splunk support variable in regular expression?

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

Does Rex in splunk support variable in regular expression ? For example,   user could input a text from UI, usually I need  a variable like $kw$  to get the input from user,  and  use $kw$  in rex command  , Can splunk support this way ? and how ?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, $ is a special symbol in rex, however, in this instance, you are specifying a token in a dashboard, and this is substituted into the search string before it is passed to the rex command.

View solution in original post

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

I tried again, rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""   --- This acturally works.

and 

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$[^\"]*\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""

is good reminding. 

Thanks  ITWhisperer.

One  more question is , $  is a special  symbol  on regular expression , how does Splunk identify it as a prefix  of a variable  or  a regular expression symbol ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, $ is a special symbol in rex, however, in this instance, you are specifying a token in a dashboard, and this is substituted into the search string before it is passed to the rex command.

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

This make sense, thanks for detailed explanation .

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

Example, My raw  text could be 

"ue-CapabilityEnquiryExt": {"capabilityRequestFilterCommon": {"uplinkTxSwitchRequest-r16": "true"},   how can I embedded $kw$ in Rex expression , $kw$  is the text value input by user to search a certain key.  it could be "uplinkTxSwitchRequest-r16" or some other key words .

I ever tried 

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\"", but didn't work

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In what way did this not work?

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""

Although, to be fair, this does rely on the user using a regex compatible match value, so you could try this (to make it easier for the user

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$[^\"]*\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...