Splunk Search

Does Rex in splunk support variable in regular expression?

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

Does Rex in splunk support variable in regular expression ? For example,   user could input a text from UI, usually I need  a variable like $kw$  to get the input from user,  and  use $kw$  in rex command  , Can splunk support this way ? and how ?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, $ is a special symbol in rex, however, in this instance, you are specifying a token in a dashboard, and this is substituted into the search string before it is passed to the rex command.

View solution in original post

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

I tried again, rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""   --- This acturally works.

and 

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$[^\"]*\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""

is good reminding. 

Thanks  ITWhisperer.

One  more question is , $  is a special  symbol  on regular expression , how does Splunk identify it as a prefix  of a variable  or  a regular expression symbol ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, $ is a special symbol in rex, however, in this instance, you are specifying a token in a dashboard, and this is substituted into the search string before it is passed to the rex command.

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

This make sense, thanks for detailed explanation .

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Tao_Zeng
Explorer

Example, My raw  text could be 

"ue-CapabilityEnquiryExt": {"capabilityRequestFilterCommon": {"uplinkTxSwitchRequest-r16": "true"},   how can I embedded $kw$ in Rex expression , $kw$  is the text value input by user to search a certain key.  it could be "uplinkTxSwitchRequest-r16" or some other key words .

I ever tried 

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\"", but didn't work

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In what way did this not work?

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""

Although, to be fair, this does rely on the user using a regex compatible match value, so you could try this (to make it easier for the user

rex field=_raw "\"$kw$[^\"]*\": \"(?<KeyValue>.*)\""
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...