Splunk Search

Distribution of Load and Splunk Performance

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

As a quick check can some one suggest me if we have a 2 indexer envirornment with 2 search heads - does it make sense for all universal forwarders to send events to both indexers?

Question i am asking is i am looking to improve performance at my dashboards run from search head and if we are sending same data to both indexers how does it help performance? ( i know it helps from load balancing and DR prospective but not how it helps in seek time/performance)?

Anyone?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Usually you'll want to have each UF send to both indexers in a load-balanced fashion, so they switch between one and the other. That way almost every search can pull data from both indexers and you get decent performance.
I don't see how cloning the data to both indexers would help performance.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Usually you'll want to have each UF send to both indexers in a load-balanced fashion, so they switch between one and the other. That way almost every search can pull data from both indexers and you get decent performance.
I don't see how cloning the data to both indexers would help performance.

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Yes both peers are in same cluster controlled by same master node and i have a replication factor 2. Thanks for explanations guys.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If both indexers are peers in the same cluster and your replication factor is 2 then yes, both peers will store each event even if your forwarders only send it to one using load balancing.

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Ok i think i was not clear with my requirements:

1. I need to send data in Load Blanced method (round Robin) to one indexer at a time

2. But data should synch between two indexers (by peer clustering at port 8080 default). First - am i doing something crazy?, all i am thinking to use efficiently networks and also not give up on a DR.

Will following load balance and send one event to one indexer only on network, and since both indexers are cluster peers will ultimately both indexers have same set of events?
[tcpout:productionSplunk] server = X.X.X.X:9997, Y.Y.Y.Y:9997

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@linu1988: That will load-balance rather than clone - note, autoLB=true is the default.

@nikhilmehra79: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Admin/outputsconf

If you're talking about one indexer receiving data from the other, that's clustering - are you using clustering?

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Can you please explain or refer me to doc -

Isn't in both cases UF sent data to one indexer but other indexer recieve it from its first peer at port 8080?

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Martin

[tcpout:productionSplunk]
server = X.X.X.X:9997, Y.Y.Y.Y:9997

will not this clone data as well?

i thought only the below would send load balanced

autoLB=True

server = some.splunk.com:9997

load balancer handles the traffic.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

They do entirely different things, so which one is okay for you depends on what you want.

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Thanks so does either of the two configs will be ok?
Option 1
[tcpout]
defaultGroup = productionSplunk

Option 2
autolb=true
[tcpout] defaultGroup = productionSplunk1, productionSplunk2

[tcpout:productionSplunk1] server = X.X.X.X:9997

[tcpout:productionSplunk2] server = Y.Y.Y.Y:9997

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Defining two groups would indeed clone data to both indexers. To get load balancing, add two servers to one group like this:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = productionSplunk

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

that would send everything to both, use autolb=true or use a DNS load balancer

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

when you say load balnced way you mean output.conf has ?

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = productionSplunk1, productionSplunk2

[tcpout:productionSplunk1]
server = X.X.X.X:9997

[tcpout:productionSplunk2]
server = Y.Y.Y.Y:9997

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...