Splunk Search

Why are Display Values not found in search results but is in lookup table?

nandhiniG
Explorer

I Have a look up file called dataset.csv which will have one field,

dataset_name
dataset1
dataset2
dataset3

I need to display the dataset_names in a table which are not present in the search results but present in lookup , i use the below query to retrieve all the datasets . but using lookup it does not show the missing names.

QUERY : 

index = dataIntegration source=piedpiper lambda_events| search event.proc_stat_cd = "SCSS"  AND event.s3_location = "*"s3:*//lake/depositescrow*"*"  AND "event.module_name"=EMR | rename event.dataset_id as "Id" |rename event.regrd_dataset_nm as Name |rename event.proc_ts as "DateTime"| table "Id" , "Name","DateTime"

I want the results like,how can i achieve this

DatasetName FilesMoved Time
dataset1 YES  
dataset2 NO  
Labels (4)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well... you can use |set diff to check for the values not present in a common subset of two searches https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.1/SearchReference/Set

Unfortunately it doesn't show which search it is from.

So in order to compare two sets I usually use a little trick

<search one> | eval setsource=1 | append [ <search two> | eval setsource=2 ] | stats sum(setsource) by <all important fields>

This way in the resulting table you have a setsource field showing whether the line comes from first search (1), second (2) or is the line included in both results (3).

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nandhiniG 

Try something

index = dataIntegration source=piedpiper lambda_events 
| search event.proc_stat_cd = "SCSS" AND event.s3_location = "*"s3:*//lake/depositescrow*"*" AND "event.module_name"=EMR 
| rename event.dataset_id as "Id" 
| rename event.regrd_dataset_nm as dataset_name 
| rename event.proc_ts as "DateTime" 
| table "Id" , "Name","DateTime"
| lookup dataset.csv dataset_name output dataset_name as dataset_name_lp
| eval FilesMoved = if(isnull(dataset_name_lp),"NO","YES")

KV 

0 Karma

nandhiniG
Explorer

It is not working , as expected.

It displays the matching search results - which means the files are moved .But not displaying the files missed .

ex: i have two datasets --> first.dat ,second.dat

lets assume first.dat is the only file processed,and the splunk search results have only one log

datasetIddataset_nameFilesMoved
1first.datYES
2second.datNO

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nandhiniG 

Can you please try this?

index = dataIntegration source=piedpiper lambda_events 
| search event.proc_stat_cd = "SCSS" AND event.s3_location = "*"s3:*//lake/depositescrow*"*" AND "event.module_name"=EMR 
| rename event.dataset_id as "Id" 
| rename event.regrd_dataset_nm as dataset_name 
| rename event.proc_ts as "DateTime" 
| table "Id" , "Name","DateTime" 
| rename Name as dataset_name
| append [| inputlookup dataset.csv] | stats count values(*) as * by dataset_name
| eval FilesMoved = if(count==1,"NO","YES")

My Sample Search :

| makeresults | eval _raw="Id,Name,DateTime
1,dataset1,t1
2,dataset2,t2"| multikv forceheader=1 |table Id,Name,DateTime
| rename comment as "Upto now is data only"
| rename Name as dataset_name
| append [| inputlookup car.csv] | stats count values(*) as * by dataset_name
| eval FilesMoved = if(count==1,"NO","YES")
0 Karma

nandhiniG
Explorer

Anyway , i tried to add the input lookup first like below and retrieved the missing dataset names only. and it worked .

| inputlookup data.csv | fields "dataset_name" | search NOT [search index = asvdataintegration source=piedpiper sts_asvdataintegration_symphony_lambda_clewriter_events | search event.proc_stat_cd = "SCSS" OR event.proc_stat_cd = "FAIL"  AND event.s3_location = "*"s3://cof-*/"*"/lake/depositescrow*"*"  AND "event.module_name"=EMR  | rename event.regrd_dataset_nm as dataset_name | table dataset_name | format]
0 Karma

Taruchit
Contributor

Hi @nandhiniG,

Thank you for sharing your inputs and the SPL that helped you get the results which are present in lookup table and not in search results.

I also have a similar usecase, and I tried following your approach, but I am still getting the outputs which are present in lookup table and in search results.

|inputlookup table.csv |fields index, host |search NOT [search index="xxx" |rename orig_* AS * |table index, host |format]

Thus, please help by sharing your inputs to correct the SPL.

Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...