Splunk Search

Display CPU Utilization per host per time using +Add Inputs from Edit Dashboard

hishamjan
Explorer

Hi,

below is the timechart for my search to display CPU utilization of my forwarders and indexerScreenshot 2021-03-02 at 1.46.20 PM.png

Using the host dropdown box, I would like to search for an individual host at a time to display its memFreePct and memUsedPct over a specific period of time (using Time dropdown box). 

The search query is as follows:

source="vmstat"
            | dedup host 
 | eval host=upper(host)
            | eval FreeGBs=FreeMBytes/1024, TotalGBs=TotalMBytes/1024, UsedGBs=UsedMBytes/1024
            | table host memFreePct memUsedPct

Is there a way I can edit this search query to be able to find timechart graph for only one host at a time using the dropdown box?

The search query in the Host dropdown box is as follows:

sourcetype=vmstat
| dedup host
|table host

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Labels (5)
0 Karma

jodonald
Explorer

Hi @hishamjan 

You will need to add a field to your search query to include the selected host from your dropdown.

For example, if the token from the dropdown was named "selected_host" then you would modify the search query for the panel to be:

source="vmstat" host=$selected_host$
            | dedup host 
 | eval host=upper(host)
            | eval FreeGBs=FreeMBytes/1024, TotalGBs=TotalMBytes/1024, UsedGBs=UsedMBytes/1024
            | table host memFreePct memUsedPct

And you will need to modify the dropdown to assign a value or an "*" (for no selected hosts) to the token "selected_host".  the Splunk documentation for Create and edit forms would be a great place to review those settings.

One more thing to consider, if you want to view the data over time, then you will probably want to modify the search query for your panel to be populated by a timechart instead of eval/table.

source="vmstat" host=$selected_host$
| eval host=upper(host)
|timechart avg(memFreePct) as memFreePct, avg(memUsedPct) as memUsedPct by $selected_host$

Hope that helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...