Splunk Search

Diff Nessus Reports

leunammejii

I'm trying to compare two monthly Nessus reports using Splunk with the following command:

sourcetype="nessus:scan" name=REPORT_NAME earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon NOT severity=informational NOT [search sourcetype="nessus:scan" name=REPORT_NAME earliest=-2mon@mon latest=-1mon@mon NOT severity=informational | dedup plugin_id,host-fqdn | table host-fqdn,name,operating-system,plugin_id,plugin_name,policy,severity,severity_index] | dedup plugin_id,host-fqdn | table host-fqdn,name,operating-system,plugin_id,plugin_name,policy,severity,severity_index | stats count by severity

I get results but I get them almost 15 minutes later. The search head has the recommended resources but it is still slow as a snail. What am I doing wrong?

I've also tried the following but it only compares the first event:

[search sourcetype="nessus:scan" name=REPORT_NAME earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon NOT severity=informational | dedup plugin_id,host-fqdn | table host-fqdn,name,operating-system,plugin_id,plugin_name,policy,severity,severity_index] [search sourcetype="nessus:scan" name=REPORT_NAME earliest=-2mon@mon latest=-1mon@mon NOT severity=informational | dedup plugin_id,host-fqdn | table host-fqdn,name,operating-system,plugin_id,plugin_name,policy,severity,severity_index] | diff maxlen=0

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

See if this helps

sourcetype="nessus:scan" name=REPORT_NAME NOT (severity=informational) earliest=-2mon@mon  | eval when=if(_time>relative_time(now(), "-1mon@mon"), "Current", "Previous") | eval h=host-fqdn."#".name | chart count over h by when | rex field=h "(?<host-fqdn>[^#]+)#(?<name>.*)" | fields - h
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...