Splunk Search

Did _time format (when displaying it) change?

Sqig
Path Finder

Hi. We recently upgraded from a 4.2 installation to 4.3.3 and a report that includes the _time field (which used to come out in epoch format) now displays the field as a formatted string.

I have changed nothing with the query. It has always been a search | timchart | eval (to rename a field) | fields _time,some,other,fields

That's all! No formatting, etc.

The _time value used to look like this: 1341288000

Now shows up like this, including the quotation marks (this is not from the same number though!): "2012-07-24 00:00:00.000 EDT"

Someone recently asked how to get epoch time, and the answer was to reference _time but as you can see. that has ceased to work for me!

Anyone know about this? The documentation still says this:

"The _time field is stored internally in UTC Format. It is translated to human-readable Unix time format when Splunk renders the search results (the very last step of search time event processing)."

Tags (1)
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer

I noticed this, as you used to have to format _time to be human readable as well.

However now, when generate data in tabular format with _time it shows as ascii human-readable. However when I rename the field from _time to something like Time it shows up as epoch. I then have to use eval to rearrange it.

You can try renaming the field.

View solution in original post

MHibbin
Influencer

I noticed this, as you used to have to format _time to be human readable as well.

However now, when generate data in tabular format with _time it shows as ascii human-readable. However when I rename the field from _time to something like Time it shows up as epoch. I then have to use eval to rearrange it.

You can try renaming the field.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Depending where you see this, it may or may not be considered a bug. Certainly in the Web UI and in the CLI tools, it has rendered human-readable and time-zone corrected, and that would not be a bug. But if you're using the API or exporting to a file or something, then I would say that _time should remain as UTC epoch seconds.

0 Karma

Sqig
Path Finder

Thank you very much. This does work. I'm in contact with Splunk regarding this as well, so they know about this issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...