Splunk Search

Determine which server in search head pool is being used

rtadams89
Contributor

I'd like to have some indication of which server in a search head pool I am currently using. For instance, having the name of the server that rendered the page included in the footer of all the splunkweb pages.

Does this information already exist somewhere or are there any modifications I can make to include it on all splunkweb pages?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several ways. For a manual example, you can click the About link in the bottom left corner that should tell you the Server Name of your search head. For a more automated way, you can run this query:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/server/info

That will include fields serverName and splunk_server - you could include that somewhere in a search powering your dashboards and display it.

As for including it in every footer automatically, while that can be done it's not as straightforward as modifying dashboard XML and isn't going to be upgrade-safe.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several ways. For a manual example, you can click the About link in the bottom left corner that should tell you the Server Name of your search head. For a more automated way, you can run this query:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/server/info

That will include fields serverName and splunk_server - you could include that somewhere in a search powering your dashboards and display it.

As for including it in every footer automatically, while that can be done it's not as straightforward as modifying dashboard XML and isn't going to be upgrade-safe.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Right - I was talking about Splunk 6. The REST call should work there as well, not sure about the interface changes.

A caveat about the General Settings idea - that only works for admins.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try: Manager » System settings » General settings

0 Karma

rtadams89
Contributor

I'm running 5.0.6. The "About" link for me appears in the upper right corner next to "Help". However, the box that this link opens does not show the server name. Should I be looking somewhere else?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...