Splunk Search

Determine number of searches per day (non-scheduled).

rmorlen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How do I determine the number of non-scheduled searches that are run per day. We are running pooled searchheads. Running Splunk 5.0.5.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Glenn
Builder

Slight modification to somesoni2's answer, excluding searches which are incidental to the Splunk web interface usage (typeahead and history), and also removing the seemingly unnecessary eval of the date (timechart does this for you):

index=_audit action="search" search="*" NOT user="splunk-system-user" savedsearch_name="" NOT search="\'|history*" NOT search="\'typeahead*" | timechart count

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are collecting process-level information for Splunk processes using the S.o.S app's ps_sos.sh scripted input, you can break down your daily search workload between scheduled and ad-hoc searches like so:

`set_sos_index` sourcetype=ps host=<indexer or search-head host>
| multikv
| `get_splunk_process_type`
| search type="searches"
| rex field=ARGS "_--user=(?<search_user>.*?)_--"
| rex field=ARGS "--id=(?<sid>.*?)_--"
| rex field=sid "remote_(?<search_head>[^_]*?)_"
| eval is_remote=if(like(sid,"%remote%"),"remote","local")
| eval is_scheduled=if(like(sid,"%scheduler_%"),"scheduled","ad-hoc")
| eval is_realtime=if(like(sid,"%rt_%"),"real-time","historical")
| eval is_subsearch=if(like(sid,"%subsearch_%"),"subsearch","generic")
| eval search_type=is_remote.", ".is_scheduled.", ".is_realtime
| timechart span=1d dc(sid) AS "Search count" by is_scheduled

Note that you'l need to run this search from within the context of the S.o.S app for the macros it uses to be available. You will also need for the ps_sos.sh scripted input to have been running for several days on the instance that you are targeting the search against.

Glenn
Builder

Slight modification to somesoni2's answer, excluding searches which are incidental to the Splunk web interface usage (typeahead and history), and also removing the seemingly unnecessary eval of the date (timechart does this for you):

index=_audit action="search" search="*" NOT user="splunk-system-user" savedsearch_name="" NOT search="\'|history*" NOT search="\'typeahead*" | timechart count

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This should give you what you need

index=_audit action="search" search="*" NOT user="splunk-system-user" | eval Date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | stats count by Date
0 Karma

rmorlen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This search also includes scheduled searches which is good but not what I am looking for. Based on your search I came up with this which seems more what I was looking for:

index=_audit action="search" search="*" savedsearch_name="" (user!="splunk-system-user" user!="rest*") | eval Date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | timechart span=1d count

0 Karma

rmorlen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I tried the search and it does work. I need to review the results because the counts seem really, really high.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...