Splunk Search

Defining custom sourcetypes.

maxmichaels

I'm trying to define a custom set of fields for a sourcetype and am finding that the "train" command is a) tedious b) doesn't work. Here's the basic format of my apache log:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t %P \"%r\" %>s %X %b %I %O %D \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" \"%{Host}i\" \"%{X-Forwarded-For}i\" \"%{X-Cluster-Client-IP}i\" \"%{True-Client-IP}i\" \"%{Via}i\" \"%{Akamai-Origin-Hop}i\""

I just want a way to create a definition from this that extracts these fields and am not finding a good way to do this. Am I missing something?

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can specify singularly formatted extractions within props.conf directly, or if you need multiple formats you can use a combination of props and transforms. There are default extractions built into Splunk for apache access and error logs. These can be referenced in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/transforms.conf under the "access-extractions" stanza:

[access-extractions]
# matches access-common or access-combined apache logging formats
# Extracts: clientip, clientport, ident, user, req_time, method, uri, root, file, uri_domain, uri_query, version, status, bytes, referer_url, referer_domain, referer_proto, useragent, cookie, other (remaining chars)
# Note: referer is misspelled in purpose because that is the "official" spelling for "HTTP referer"
REGEX = ^[[nspaces:clientip]]\s++[[nspaces:ident]]\s++[[nspaces:user]]\s++[[sbstring:req_time]]\s++[[access-request]]\s++[[nspaces:status]]\s++[[nspaces:bytes]](?:\s++"(?<referer>[[bc_domain:referer_]]?+[^"]*+)"(?:\s++[[qstring:useragent]](?:\s++[[qstring:cookie]])?+)?+)?[[all:other]]

If you need to make a custom format, you could use the above as a template for a new extraction for your particular custom log file.

BunnyHop
Contributor

You can add a stanza on your props.conf and transforms.conf:

props.conf

[customsourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-logformat = customlogformat

transforms.conf

[customlogformat]
REGEX = ****insert regex here****
FORMAT = field1::$1 field2::$2 field3::$3
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...