Splunk Search

Dedup duplicates

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

what is the easiest way to filter out event duplicates without adding every field in the dedup command?
Is
| dedup _raw

the correct approach?

BR

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

dedup _raw should work just fine, yes.

View solution in original post

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

I've got two additional questions regarding this topic:

1. How can I search for the count of events that have duplicates?
  2. How can I search for the total number of duplicates?

BR

Heinz

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Unfortunately I don't have an unique identifier for each event like your proposed session_id

0 Karma

Rocket66
Communicator

You can count duplicated event by using the "transaction" command. And then count the events by using "eventcount"

eg.:

eventtype="*" | transaction session_id | Where eventcount>1 | stats count by eventcount

to find out how many duplicates occured

or:

eventtype="*" | transaction session_id | Where eventcount>1 | stats count(eventcount)

to count how many different duplicated events occured

or ...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

dedup _raw should work just fine, yes.

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

great, thanks

0 Karma

ITUser1
Explorer

When I try and enter the "|dedup _raw" command at the end of my search parameter I end up with no matches but when I take it off the end I end up with thousands. I can see that they are duplicates(same IP address, name, and port) but it still doesn't work. any suggestions?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...