Splunk Search

Dedup duplicates

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

what is the easiest way to filter out event duplicates without adding every field in the dedup command?
Is
| dedup _raw

the correct approach?

BR

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

dedup _raw should work just fine, yes.

View solution in original post

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

I've got two additional questions regarding this topic:

1. How can I search for the count of events that have duplicates?
  2. How can I search for the total number of duplicates?

BR

Heinz

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Unfortunately I don't have an unique identifier for each event like your proposed session_id

0 Karma

Rocket66
Communicator

You can count duplicated event by using the "transaction" command. And then count the events by using "eventcount"

eg.:

eventtype="*" | transaction session_id | Where eventcount>1 | stats count by eventcount

to find out how many duplicates occured

or:

eventtype="*" | transaction session_id | Where eventcount>1 | stats count(eventcount)

to count how many different duplicated events occured

or ...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

dedup _raw should work just fine, yes.

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

great, thanks

0 Karma

ITUser1
Explorer

When I try and enter the "|dedup _raw" command at the end of my search parameter I end up with no matches but when I take it off the end I end up with thousands. I can see that they are duplicates(same IP address, name, and port) but it still doesn't work. any suggestions?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...