Splunk Search

Decimal : how to use "," vs "." ?

arturo
Explorer

Folks :

I have a customer using numbers in "spanish" standard (a number in the US Standard like 1,000,000.25 is represented in logs as 1.000.000,25)

How can I change that at search time ? Is it possible ?

I have tried to use "eval nn=tonumber(variable) but it can't convert a number in the format before mentioned (1.000.000,25)

Cheers
Arturo

ziegfried
Influencer

It's probably better to eliminate the separating dots before replacing commas.

... | eval nn=tonumber(replace(replace(variable,"\.",""),",",".")) | ...

ziegfried
Influencer

No, not atm.

0 Karma

arturo
Explorer

Is that locale-aware "string-to-number" convertion option available ?

Any pointers ?

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

Transforming something like this at index time is probably a bad idea. Even the field extraction happen at search time. An enhancement that might be useful is a locale-aware string-to-number conversion for eval.

0 Karma

arturo
Explorer

Thanks guys !!!!!! ... great ideas indeed !!!!!!!!!!!

Question : are there any "permanent/faster" ways to make this "standard" for numeric quantities the "standard" for a customer installation ?

I was thinking that something Just like http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Configurecharactersetencoding should exist "built in" in Splunk to make him aware of other standards ... maybe at index time ?

Cheers

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is probably a more elegant way, but:

...| eval var = replace(var, ",", ".") | eval var = replace(var, "\.([^\.]+)$", ",\1")

It would probably be easiest to make this in to a macro for reuse.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...