Splunk Search

Date extraction command Question for LDAP dump

daryllj
Path Finder

hi there- I tried a few things already, but looking to get guidence on this one- I am using the LDAP query module in Splunk to dump out directory information and then present into a simple table, and running into a challenge simplifying extraction of the date from the AD account creation field:

| ldapsearch basedn="XXXXXXXXXXX" search="(&(objectCategory=user)(objectClass=user)(distinguishedName=*))" attrs="displayName,distinguishedName,mail,lastLogonTimestamp,whenCreated" 

I want to simplify presentation of the two date and time fields:  lasLogonTimestamp and whenCreated.

What I get with these fields today when I output to a table (example)

2019-05-06 16:53:24+00:00

What I want to see:

2019-05-06

What I have tried:

adding in:

| eval Created=strftime(whenCreated,"%Y%m%d") | prior to my table command.

this seems to result in nothing being populated in the new field (I am expecting just a date value) ...I am not sure if the strftime command is correct when it comes to this format of data...

thoughts welcomed as always

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To convert a timestamp from one string format into another string format you must first convert it into an integer using strptime.

| eval Created=strftime(strptime(whenCreated,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S%:z"),"%Y-%m-%d") | 
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

daryllj
Path Finder

Thanks for taking the time out to educate me on this one- works perfectly,  I really appreciate you taking a few minutes of your time!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To convert a timestamp from one string format into another string format you must first convert it into an integer using strptime.

| eval Created=strftime(strptime(whenCreated,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S%:z"),"%Y-%m-%d") | 
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...