Splunk Search

Date Comparison with current date

rohankin

Hi,

I am trying to display results in separate panels based on date fields in my dataset. I want to display results where Date1 is less than 7 days from current date and
in separate panel , I want to display results where Date 2 is less than 7 days from current date.

I tried using eval but it doesn't provide any results

Queries that I tried:
|inputlookup devices_lookup |eval _time=strptime(Date1, "%m/%d/%Y") |search latest=-7d

|inputlookup devices_lookup |eval Test=substr(Date2, 0,10)| eval _time=strptime(Date2, "%m/%d/%Y") |search latest=-7d

Is there any way to perform this using standard date functions as I have NULL values in Date1, Date2 columns too which I want to handle.
I have also attached sample data here. alt text

Thanks !
Rohan K

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

|inputlookup devices_lookup
| eval _time=strptime(Date1, "%m/%d/%Y")
| where _time <= relative_time(now(), "-7d")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

|inputlookup devices_lookup
| eval _time=strptime(Date1, "%m/%d/%Y")
| where _time <= relative_time(now(), "-7d")
0 Karma

koreamit3483
Explorer

I have a query on top of this.. 

What if i want to use the token instead of "Date1" ?

means the date which is being selected from drop down.

0 Karma

rohankin

Thanks ! That worked. I just noticed my data also has many rows where date is "12/31/1969 07:10 pm" which is UNIX timestamp 0. strptime doesnt work on that. Any suggestion on how I should handle this ?
I am thinking of changing that date to "0" or "missing" to reflect the fact that "Date" field is not being populated for those devices.

Any idea how should I do that ?

Thanks !
Rohan K.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Fix your data onboarding. DO NOT LET SPLUNK GUESS WHERE/WHAT THE TIMESTAMP IS! Google splunk Magic 8.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...