Splunk Search

Custom Search Lite app

nickstone
Path Finder

I have an odd requirement where I want to limit the index, source or sourcetype for my end users.

I have had a quick go at building my own "Search" app using: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.1/AdvancedDev/AdvancedSearch
and advancedxml.

Ideally, I would like it to be SimpleXML, but can live with advancedxml.

The functionality needs to allow me to prepend all searches with some static hidden search (ie index=main | )

Pretty sure I have seen this before and would like to avoid the use of an external framework.

thanks!

0 Karma

lmyrefelt
Builder

I dont belive it is possible with simple XML.
In splunk 6 using flashtimeline view under;

True

You can add;

<module name="HiddenIntention">
   <param name="intention">
     <param name="name">addterm</param>
     <param name="arg">
       <param name="index">MyHiddenIndex</param>
     </param>
    </param>

However you are better of trying to use the new webframework and ( i assume, havent really done it yet) creating your own django-template with search terms, like in advanced xml / flashtimeline )

Hope it helps! 🙂

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Is this filtering to be done on a per-user or per-role level? If so you can just create search filters that are automatically applied for each user or role that you specify. This can be set in the access controls section for each user or role in the manager.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...