Splunk Search

Creating report search issues

DanAlexander
Communicator

Hi All,

I am trying to create an efficient way to pull out certain win events for my report but I am not sure it would return the results I want. It truncates some of the results. I might be doing something wrong. Please see the code that I am currently running and suggest an improvement. Thank you all!

index=mbda_windows_server sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog EventCode=4718 OR 4728 OR 4729 OR 4730 OR 4732 OR 4733 OR 4756 OR 4757 OR 4762 OR 4796 OR 5136

| dedup src_user, MemberSid, Group_Domain, Group_Name, host, _time 

| convert timeformat="%d/%m/%Y %H:%M" ctime(_time)

| rename src_user AS Login, MemberSid AS Account, Group_Domain AS Domain, Group_Name AS Group, host AS Host, _time AS Min_NormDateMin, name AS EventName

| table Login, Account, Domain, Group, Host, Min_NormDateMin, EventCode, EventName | sort EventCode

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understand correctly you want to remove duplicates based on a field with different names across certain events. If so simply create a field that is common across them with coalesce, as in:

| eval myfield = coalesce(fieldname1, fieldname2, fieldname3, ...)

Then use dedup based on myfield.

View solution in original post

DanAlexander
Communicator

Also, I wanted to know what would be the best way to automatically email the report results to me scheduled every day at 10 AM?

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Run the search, then click on "Save As" > Alert and chose your schedule and within "Trigger Actions" select "Send email". 

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 10.04.46.png

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 10.05.16.png

0 Karma

DanAlexander
Communicator

I did that yesterday, but no report laded into my email box. Do I need to configure something else?

Thank you

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have to configure the email notification settings:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.0/Alert/Emailnotification

DanAlexander
Communicator

Thank you @javiergn 

0 Karma

DanAlexander
Communicator

How can I remove the duplicates efficiently as not all events contain the same fields and these events will be dropped? I need to remove the duplicates anyway.

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, the first line is wrong, try using one of the following two:

index=mbda_windows_server sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog EventCode IN (4718, 4728, 4729, 4730, 4732, 4733, 4756, 4757, 4762, 4796, 5136)

index=mbda_windows_server sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog (EventCode=4718 OR EventCode=4728 OR EventCode=4729 OR EventCode=4730 OR EventCode=4732 OR EventCode=4733 OR EventCode=4756 OR EventCode=4757 OR EventCode=4762 OR EventCode=4796 OR EventCode=5136)

DanAlexander
Communicator

Thanks for the swift reply. Please let me know how to remove duplicates that do not have the same fields. I would like to avoid dropping events because of this? Thank you!

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understand correctly you want to remove duplicates based on a field with different names across certain events. If so simply create a field that is common across them with coalesce, as in:

| eval myfield = coalesce(fieldname1, fieldname2, fieldname3, ...)

Then use dedup based on myfield.

DanAlexander
Communicator

Thanks for the help, @javiergn 

Much appreciated!

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure no problem. Don't forget to mark the above as answered so that we can close the thread.

Regards,

Javier

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...