Splunk Search

Create a evaluation in each end of month based in one field that is not _time field

nsanchezfernand
Path Finder

Hi.

I am indexing data from a ticketing tool. I need to see what tickets were opened at end of each month. I've done a initial charge of the database, because of this, I can't use the _time indexed, otherwise I have to use open_date and close_date. Basically, the logic that I need to apply is:

Make a count of all tickets that were opened before end of month and were closed after the end of that month. I need show like timechart with this info by month.

Any idea about the way to get this info? Maybe could be useful the gentimes command?

Thanks.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

[Updated Answer]
Since you need last day of Current month for your evaluation purpose you can make use of the following eval expression to come up with the same | eval current_month_last_day=relative_time(now(),"+1mon@mon-1d").

Following is the run anywhere query which you can use to test dates like 05/30 and 05/31 for open_date for the current month:

| makeresults
 | eval open_date=strptime("2017/05/31 13:55:00","%Y/%m/%d")
 | eval close_date=strptime("2017/06/03 10:23:00","%Y/%m/%d")
 | eval current_month_last_day=relative_time(now(),"+1mon@mon-1d")
 | where close_date>current_month_last_day AND open_date=current_month_last_day
 | fieldformat open_date=strftime(open_date,"%Y/%m/%d")
 | fieldformat close_date=strftime(close_date,"%Y/%m/%d")
 | fieldformat current_month_last_day=strftime(current_month_last_day,"%Y/%m/%d")

What is your criteria for End Of the month?

Following is a run anywhere search which takes open_date>25 as End of the Month and find records where close_month changes.
PS: makeresults and First two evals for open_date and close_date are to mock the data.

| makeresults
| eval open_date=strptime("2017/01/26 13:55:00","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval close_date=strptime("2017/02/03 10:23:00","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval open_month=strftime(open_date,"%m")
| eval open_day=strftime(open_date,"%d")
| eval close_month=strftime(close_date,"%m")
| where close_month>open_month AND open_day>"25"

nsanchezfernand
Path Finder

Hi, niketnilay.

Thanks for the response. My end of month criteria is last day of each month... It's dependent of the month. My problem is that I have to compare a date that does not exist in any field (31th january, 28th february, 30th march....) with the fields open_date and close_date, and then put in a chart how many tickets were open in each end of month.

I've tried what you purposed to me and it does not work for my requisite, however, thanks!

Thanks.

0 Karma

aorkcreate

I've needed the same output ,did you achieve that ,can you tell me how is it possible ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...