Splunk Search

Count variables for which an event is missing

GioCortez
Explorer

Hi all. A silly question. I have the below searchresult (in my application i'm printing logs for different processing status of a specific order: I would like to know if (and how) would it be possible to extract the number of orders for which i do have a "processStarted" log, and not an "orderSaved" one. And another query to extract the orderNumbers for these case.

orderNumberaction
123processStarted
123orderSaved
125processStarted
125orderSaved
301processStarted

As per the above example, i would like
1) a query to extract the count (1 in this case, since only order 301 don't have an "orderSaved" entry)

2) a query to extract the orderNumbers for which i do have "processStarted", but not "orderSaved"). Only 301 in this case

Which operation you would suggest me to investigate? Can you point me to some examples?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great! 

"addinfo" command will help you. It will add these "info_min_time", "info_max_time" fields.

| stats count max(_time) as _time by orderNumber
| addinfo
| eval wait_time=info_max_time-_time
| search count=1 wait_time>3600 
| addcoltotals 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

GioCortez
Explorer

Thanks @scelikok for the quick response! That did the trick. Now i would like to complex things a little bit...basically i have orders flowing from one system to another. I have logs for which an order is sent ("processStarted") and for which an order is saved in the target system ("orderSaved"). But the problem with this, is that, basing on the search time restriction the user is setting, i may loose "orderSaved" events which happened after the timeframe. Is there any feasible (and acceptable, in terms of performances) solution for this?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @GioCortez,

Maybe you can give some time for "orderSaved" event before creating an alert. I think there will be acceptable timeframe after "processStarted" event. Let's say orders should be saved in hour, you can use below query as 5m scheduled. It will wait for on hour to show unprocessed order.

| eval wait_time=now()-_time
| addcoltotals  

0 Karma

GioCortez
Explorer

Thanks @scelikok, that made my day! One more thing: what if instead of using now() i want to use the "latest" date selected in the range picker? Is there a variable where starttime and endtime is stored? So that i could do something like the below?

| eval wait_time=rangepickerenddate()-_time
| addcoltotals  

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great! 

"addinfo" command will help you. It will add these "info_min_time", "info_max_time" fields.

| addinfo
| eval wait_time=info_max_time-_time
| addcoltotals 

0 Karma

GioCortez
Explorer

Thanks @scelikok  for helping out! That made the trick!

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @GioCortez , please try below query;

| stats count by orderNumber
| where count=1
| addcoltotals 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...