Splunk Search

Count of users in a month who cross a threshold of usage?

MichaelCohen829
Explorer

Hello Splunk Community,

I am trying to answer this question: How many users have logged into the system on at least 4 separate days during the last 30 days?

So far I’ve generated this search:

sourcetype="LogFile" ActionType="Login” earliest=-30d@d | chart dc(StartTime) as xcount by UserId | where xcount>4 | stats count as "Users >= 4 logins"

The issue that I’m facing is that I cannot determine how to count Logins by day. My current Search simply counts number of Logins although those logins may have all occurred on the same day, but I want to find out how many have logged in on at least 4 separate days.

Our StartTime data element is in the following format: dd/mm/yy H:M:S. I can truncate the StartTime down to dd-mm-yy with the following eval statement: eval StartTime=strptime(StartTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")|eval StartTime=strftime(StartTime,"%d-%b-%Y"). However, I cannot figure out how get the login counts associated with unique days. i.e: I have not yet been successful in moving the truncated date into my Search.

Thank you,

Mike

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can count by day like this:

sourcetype=logfile actiontype=login | eval start_epoch = strptime(StartTime, "time format goes here") | bin span=1d start_epoch | stats dc(start_epoch) as xcount by UserID | where xcount>4 | stats count as "Users >= 4 logins"

Note, if StartTime is also stored in _time then you can skip the eval and use _time instead.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can count by day like this:

sourcetype=logfile actiontype=login | eval start_epoch = strptime(StartTime, "time format goes here") | bin span=1d start_epoch | stats dc(start_epoch) as xcount by UserID | where xcount>4 | stats count as "Users >= 4 logins"

Note, if StartTime is also stored in _time then you can skip the eval and use _time instead.

MichaelCohen829
Explorer

Thank you Martin! This answer was very helpful

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...