Splunk Search

Count matches between values from two different events with different time ranges

Hartmannish
Explorer

Okay, this is a bit difficult to explain, which is also why I'm not sure it hasn't already been answered, but here goes:

I have two searches:

The first checks 30-60 days back:

host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff 
| stats count AS occurences by DeviceId 
| eval occur=case(occurences >= 2 AND occurences <=3, "true") 
| stats count(occur) AS "Happened 2-3 times"

And this one checks 7 days back:

host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff earliest=-7d@
| stats dc(DeviceId) AS happened_once

What I need is a count of DeviceId's that match both. That is, they occur 2-3 times the last 30 or 60 days (haven't decided), but at least one of those occurrences, happened in the last 7 days.

I tried to something with subsearches, but I can't seem to get the syntax right, or I'm going about it the wrong way.

Any help?

Tags (2)

echozero39
Engager

Have you tried to use append to output your second command to your first command ?

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi Hartmannish
Use set command with intersect operation
Try this search code

|set intersect [search  host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff  earliest=-60d@ ][search   host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff earliest=-7d@  ]|stats count(DeviceId ) as count_DeviceId 
0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

What about my answer .Let examine it.And tell if it works

0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

Okay, seems I simply can't use the set intersect command. It always returns either exactly 10000, or 1, or 2, if I try to use dc(). Maybe there are some limitations to set intersect I don't understand.

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Retry with union operation and add the expression |fields DeviceId in each subsearch

Try this

|set union [search  host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff  earliest=-60d@|fields DeviceId  ][search   host=server* Identifier=name EventType=Stuff earliest=-7d@|fields DeviceId ]|stats count(DeviceId ) as count_DeviceId 

Don't add something else in the query

0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

Same issue, except I get 20000 now instead of 10000 😕

0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

It looks REALLY close to what I need, but I havn't been able to test it, since I'm having some local IT issues 🙂 I will defnitely get back once I get to try it for real.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have a look at the first() and latest() options to the stats command. They will get you the most recent DeviceId. Then you should be able to examine _time for that event to see if it occurred in the last 7 days.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

another more straight forward approach is to use something like this http://answers.splunk.com/answers/153336/is-it-possible-to-use-earliest-twice-in-one-search.html - please make sure to pay attention to the last comment.

0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

I guess I'm in the same dilemma here as I was with richgalloway's suggestion. I simply don't understand where to start. How do I translate what your link says, to my issue?

0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

That's a good idea. Could you elaborate a little on how to do this? If I use the first() or last() command, I seem to only get a single value. And as far as I know, stats discards timestamps.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're right, _time does not survive the stats command. If your data will allow it, you can try stats first(DeviceId) as DeviceId, first(_time) as Time to get both the device name and the time it arrived. This will only work if the first event has a DeviceId field.

Then you can see how old Time is this way: ... | eval SevenDaysAgo=relative_time(now(), "-7d") | where Time>SevenDaysAgo | ...

---
0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

I must admit, I simply am not fluent enough in splunk to understand how this helps me? Is "Device" different from "DeviceId"? Also, how does this work together with my eval case() command?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Device and DeviceId are the same. I've edited my comment to use only DeviceId.

---
0 Karma

Hartmannish
Explorer

Okay, thanks for the clarification 🙂 Still, I'm not quite sure how to fill in the blanks from your explanation 🙂 I'm not trying to make you do my work for me, there are just a lot of things I still don't understand about splunk 😞

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I was trying to come up with a way to do the job with a single search. On further study, I believe my suggestion won't solve both parts of your problem. Sorry.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...