Splunk Search

Could not determine $SPLUNK_HOME, perhaps it should be set in environment.

Dimitri_McKay
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I keep getting the message

Couldn't determine $SPLUNK_HOME, perhaps it should be set in environment

when I try to start Splunk. I made sure that my home environment has been set in /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf, and the $SPLUNK_HOME was set correctly. How do I fix this?

1 Solution

Dimitri_McKay
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I had this very same challenge. Make sure you have rights to execute the splunk binary.
Test to make sure it's not a rights issue by doing a sudo to the splunk status.

sudo /opt/splunk/bin/splunk status

It will ask you for your own password (pre-supposing you are a valid user of sudo to begin with).
Once entered, Splunk should start. If it doesn't, chances are, it's a different problem.

View solution in original post

Yunagi
Communicator

I realize this question is from 2013. However, I had a very similar issue today. The error message was:

ERROR: Couldn't determine $SPLUNK_HOME or $SPLUNK_ETC; perhaps one should be set in environment

I installed Splunk as follows: First, I had extracted the tgz archive on my Linux system via sudo. Then I chowned the directory to the splunk user. Then, I ran "/opt/splunk/bin/splunk enable boot-start -user splunk" via sudo. Then, I tried to "splunk start" as the splunk user. However, I received the error message above.

I noticed the following permissions on the file /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf:

-rw-r-----  1 root   root     830 Sep  7 10:29 splunk-launch.conf

So the splunk user had no permission to read this file. So I did the following:

sudo chmod a+r /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf

Dimitri_McKay
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I had this very same challenge. Make sure you have rights to execute the splunk binary.
Test to make sure it's not a rights issue by doing a sudo to the splunk status.

sudo /opt/splunk/bin/splunk status

It will ask you for your own password (pre-supposing you are a valid user of sudo to begin with).
Once entered, Splunk should start. If it doesn't, chances are, it's a different problem.

optimisticBlue

Is there a method to run Splunk without needing sudo?
Software shouldn't run under sudo, or only escalate when needed (e.g. to open privileged port)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...